So our honey bees swarmed on Thursday.
We went and bought a new hive box for them in hopes of catching them on Friday. After it was all put together I went outside and they were gone from the tree. Just like that our bees were gone. Our sweet honey bees gone 🙁
On Sunday morning, while we are out Tanner calls and tells us he found the bees! They were on a grape vine! How exciting we can still get our bees back!
But a few hours later he tells us that they took off towards the beehive in a massive black cloud and then disappeared. Apparently they sounded like a lawnmower. Once again our bees were gone 🙁
When we get back home I am planing to walk through the acres of blueberries behind us looking for our bees. As I go by the hive I realize that there is a whole lot of activity. We actually think that our swarm decided to go back home. After a quick internet search I’ve read that this does happen occasionally but it is rare and we should probably make some room for them before they swarm for real.
We suited up and lit the smoker and opened the hive. The frames were all pretty full so we pulled three of them and added a honey super on the top go give them even more room. The honey super has a queen extruder so only the worker bees can get into it and make honey but the queen can’t get in there so it’s pure honey no eggs. We scraped one of the frames into some jars and are letting the wax and honey separate.